When Winter Weather Strikes
Winter weather can lead to water damage, roof damage, broken pipes & ice damming. SERVPRO of Gwinnett County South wants to make sure you are prepared for storms and know what to do in case you do have a damage!
Tips for Preparing your Home for Winter Weather:
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets run through unheated or uninsulated areas of the home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shutoff valve in the basement or crawl space and turn it to "off".
- If you follow the previous step, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shutoff.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puffbacks.
- Tips for Preparing your Business for Winter Weather:
- Check your business property for downed tree limbs and branches. Weather, such as wind, heavy rain, ice and/or snow, can cause branches to fall which would cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries.
- Inspect property, especially walkways and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Inspect all handrails, stairwells and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post caution signs where water could be present.
- Ask SERVPRO of Gwinnett County South about creating an Emergency Ready Profile for your business for any future or potential emergencies.
If your Gwinnett County home or business experiences water damage, broken pipes or ice damming, don't hesitate to contact SERVPRO® of Gwinnett County South at 770-448-5782. We'll make it "Like it never even happened."