If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (770) 448-5782

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Keep Fires out of Your Holiday Celebrations | SERVPRO® of Gwinnett County South

11/10/2020 (Permalink)

Make sure your fire risk is low during the holidays. If you experience any damage, SERVPRO of Gwinnett County South will be here to help.

It is possible for a fire to begin no matter what time of year it is, but during the winter months, it is wise to be extra cautious about them. Winter is the season when most fires begin in houses as reported by the Red Cross, because there are far more activities occurring that make them likely to occur.

Wintertime is the season of making big meals, baking goodies, turning up the heat and decorating the home—but with each of these things comes a risk. These things can still be enjoyed as long as safety remains at the forefront of concern.

Practicing Fire Safety During Winter Activities

Keep safe when cooking. At any time of year, cooking has been shown to be the top cause of house fires—and during the winter season, it becomes even more prevalent. Cooking and baking are a fun way to enjoy winter treats, but it is important to always practice fire safety in the kitchen and keep a fire extinguisher handy in case there are any flare-ups that can quickly be put out.

Heat the house with proper precautions. The warmth of a fireplace or space heater is nice, but these things present serious dangers when used improperly. Space heaters have gotten safer with recent technological developments, so it is smart to make sure you are using a model with built-in safety features. For fireplaces, regular chimney maintenance is key and a fire should never be left to burn unattended.

Decorate with care. Decorating for the winter holidays is a fun activity, but with the introduction of new electrical wiring brings new concerns. Around 25% of Christmas tree fires start due to wiring, which can be prevented with proper precautions. Never use wiring that is frayed and avoid leaving lights plugged in if you are away or going to sleep. It is also wise to not plug too many things into a single outlet or power strip, as this can lead to sparks.

If you have damage due to a house fire, you can depend on us to help. Contact us 24 hours a day to report damage and receive a quick response from our certified restoration technicians. Get in touch today.

Other News

View Recent Posts